I LOVE Southern cooking. pulled pork, grits, biscuits and gravy, collards, cornbread…etc. It’s delicious–especially breakfast. I’m a big breakfast person, and if I don’t get a hearty breakfast I have a bad day. Today I had some time to spend on my breakfast and in the fridge I had pretty much everything for biscuits and gravy…except biscuits. Bummer. But I made it work. The result? Baked Eggs and Gravy and it was yummy.
Baked Eggs and Gravy
- 2 large eggs
- 2 strands of bacon (or more depending on how healthy you’re feeling)
- 1 1/2-2 tsp chopped chives or green onion
- 2 tbs melted butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 1/3+ cup milk or half-n-half
- 2 tsp (roughly) cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place a strand of bacon (or your heart’s desire) each of two cocottes. Bake until bacon is crispy or to your liking.
- Meanwhile, melt your butter and stir in the 2 tbs of flour. Add the cream to the desired thickness–I like mine on the thicker side. Add the honey and stir. Add salt and pepper, rosemary (if desired), and chopped chives or green onion and stir.
- Pour the majority of the gravy over the bacon in each cocotte and mix up a little bit. Dump and egg in each one then finish off with a little more gravy on top. Bake for 5-7 minutes (depending on how runny you like your eggs). Top with cheddar cheese and enjoy!